Monday 22 October 2012

The Crucifixion...

The Crucifixion is probably one of the hardest subjects for many Christians to think about. We've been asked to look at how the crucifixion has been portrayed in art. Here are a few of my 'favourite'- if that's the right word images.
I guess this isn't exactly a typical image of the crucifixion, but I do think that it portrays a part of the crucifixion (especially if you focus on Luke's Jesus). The lack of choice I feel that Jesus had in what happened. It was all part of God's plan, it had to happen, Jesus couldn't really 'get out of it' so to speak.
This is probably my favourite image. I love the powerfulness (that's not even a word)of a mother's love for her son. It reminds me of the humanity that Jesus had, although he was of divine nature...he was simply human too, he has a mother just like you and I and I can't begin to imagine the pain and sorrow that Mary must have gone through, despite being 'blessed' by God.
It's probably not good to have a colourful image of the crucifixion but I love the colours in this piece (and if you think this is bad- take a look at Picasso's!!).
This is a different aspect again of the crucifixion. It makes us think a little bit about it from Jesus' point of view. I couldn't even begin to imagine what Jesus went through on that day, for us. What an incredible act of LOVE.
I wonder if this one is part of a full window, or just a part of a bigger piece. I love the colour (again) and like the focus on hands...not sure why. So tonight we were asked. If the crucifixion was occurring now- today in 2012. Which character would you be? It's not an easy question to answer, particularly as we have the end of the story sat on our bookshelves. But if I were to reflect on my 'conversion'. I made quite a change, I was completely in awe, amazed, and I felt as if my life went from black to white. Would this be similar to Mary Mag's experience? Could I be Mary Mag? Worshiping, devoted, totally focused on Jesus, without thinking or caring of the consequences? Maybe not. In reality, I might be more like Peter. Scared, frightened, so much so I may deny my faith, my friendship in Jesus to save myself from any negative implications that it would have... Who would you be?

No comments:

Post a Comment